Name: Kelsey, Alfred Alexander, Rev.
Burial Date: 2005, 10/03
Age at Death: 93
Plot Location: 960 C Cremains
Notes: husband of Margaret Elizabeth(Edgar); 2nd husband of Miriam(Young)Pack
US Army Air Force Chaplain died 9/17/2005
Rev. Alfred A. Kelsey died Sept. 17, 2005. He was born Aug. 12, 1912, in East Liverpool, OH, the fourth child of Hugh A and Luella(Espy)Kelsey. He lived in Cambridge and New Concord, OH and Sterling, KS where he graduated from Sterling College. After graduating from Pittsburgh Xenia Seminary in Pittsburgh, PA, he was married to Margaret Edgar in Sterling, KS in 1937. To them were born one daughter and two sons. He served Presbyterian pastorates in Tildon, IL and Bloomington, IN before entering the Army as a chaplain during World War II. He served in California, the South Pacific and Hawaii. Following the war, he pastored the Presbyterian Church, College Springs, IA. Being recalled to the Air Force during the Korean Conflict, he served in Topeka, KS and Tampa, FL. Following active service, having attained the rank of Colonel, he was pastor of Palma Ceia Presbyterian Church, Tampa, FL, organizing pastor of Calvin Presbyterian Church, Cedar Rapids, IA, pastor of Westminster in Sioux City, IA and West Plains in West Plains, MO. Following retirement, he served numerous interim pastorates in Missouri and Kansas before moving with Margaret to the Presbyterian Manor in Sterling, KS. Margaret preceded him in death in 1998. Alfred moved to the Presbyterian Manor in Wichita where he met and married Miriam(Young)Pack in 2004. He is survived by daughter, Mary Lue Sjostrom, Redmond, WA, son, Don Kelsey(Penny), Columbus, IN and Phil Kelsey (Barb), Wichita. He has eight grandchildren, ten great-grandchildren, and five great-great-grandchildren. Miriam’s sons are Garret Pack, Laguna Beach, CA and Dave Pack, Lenexa, KS. Burial will be in the Sterling Cemetery, Sterling, Kansas following the funeral services in the Chapel at Eastminster Presbyterian Church, Wichita, KS.
On May 1, 1960, the present church building, 715 38th Street S.E., was completed and dedicated. The Rev. Alfred A. Kelsey served as pastor until February, 1968. He and his wife, Margaret, and their children, Donald R., Mary L., and Philip A., lived in the manse until he was called to another congregation.