Buckner, Rollin B

Name: Buckner, Rollin B
Burial Date: 1879, 12/23
Age at Death: 8
Plot Location: 231 K
Notes: s/Rev. Nixon S. & Annette Clarissa(Huse)

Methodist minister Rev. Nixon S. BUCKNER (Oct. 11, 1840 near York, Clark Co., IL-Apr. 18, 1918 Pacific Grove, Monterey Co., CA), son of William Robert BUCKNER (Aug. 26, 1808 Siler City, Chatham Co., NC-Nov. 7, 1887 Melrose, Clark Co., IL; buried Bailiff Cemetery, Melrose Twp., Clark Co., IL) & 1st wife Nancy EVANS (Oct. 27, 1809 Hertford, Perquimans Co., NC-Aug. 2, 1852 Clark Co., IL; Bailiff Cemetery), married 1- Mary E. McDOWELL ( -Aug. 1870); 2- Annette Clarissa (“Nettie”) HUSE (July 10, 1851 Hancock Co., IL-May 9, 1937 Hayward, Alameda Co., CA; Yountville, Napa Co., CA), daughter of Ebenezer HUSE (Sept. 25, 1815 Rochester, Windsor Co., VT-Mar. 24, 1909 Manhattan, Pottawatomie Co., KS; Wythe Congregational Cemetery, Warsaw, Hancock Co., IL) & Fanny Wing DYER (Oct. 25, 1816 Rochester, Windsor Co., VT-Nov. 25, 1865 Warsaw, Hancock Co., IL; Wythe Congregational Cemetery).

Rev. Nixon S. BUCKNER served in the American Civil War, Union allegiance. Per descendants Rev. Dorothy Louise (BUCKNER) VANARSDALE and, Thomas Riley BUCKNER, Nixon was named after his uncle Nixon EVANS.

The following autobiography of Nixon’s was found in a small notebook by his granddaughter Ruth BEEMAN: “ ‘Born – near York – Clark County Illinois, October Eleventh, Eighteen hundred forty (1840). My father was a farmer. There were in the family eight boys and three girls. Six boys and two girls lived to man and womanhood. I attended school – such as it was (Subscription School) three months in the year, from the age of seven until I was fifteen years old. My mother died when I was 14 years old. The spring before I was sixteen I was hired to work a year for a man named George Miller in Coles County, Ill. at $10.00 a month. He had a large farm. $16.00 a month was the most he paid to any of his men, and while I was the youngest yet I did the same work the older men did. When seventeen I commenced to learn the painters trade. Worked at it a year. When 18 drove an ox team of 2 yoke for my father into Wapelo County, Iowa and during the winter hauled rail for my uncle. The distance was 12 miles. Had to start very early. Got home late at night. Sometimes I was almost frozen. Returned to Clark County, Ill. and worked one year on a farm for a Mr. George Potter, for $13.00 a month. At this time there was great excitement in both north and south and in April 1851 Fort Sumpter was fired upon by the rebels. When it was known that Sumpter was taken, the war fever raged in the north. A company was enlisted in our county town, Marshal. When Sumpter fell I went to Marshal, a distance of 12 miles. Found a company being formed and was the 14th man to enlist. 13 had put their names down before I reached the town. The last of April we went in to camp Matoon, Coles County, with a full company. Joined with 2 other companies which formed the 21st Illinois Infantry. [According to the National Park Service Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System website, Nixon’s rank both in and out of the 21st Reg. was, Corpl.] We remained in camp until the first of June. Went to Springfield the middle of June. Was mustered in to the U. S. service for three years under U. S. Grant as, (who was) Colonel. Went home to help recruit the regiment. Returned the last of the month and on July 1st – 1861 started for Quincy. For four years was marching, drilling, camping and fighting. Went into Missouri, Arkansas (under Steel). Back to Corinth, Mississippi and up into Kentucky after Brag, was in the Battle of Pesigville but suffered no loss in our regiment, although some parts of our army suffered much. This was Oct. 2. Went to Nashville, camped until Dec. 26. Started under General Rosecrans to Murfresborough 22 miles south of Nashville where Gen. Brag with 40,000 Rebs was stationed. We had about the same number of men. We encountered their outposts the evening of the 30th. Our regiment and the 15th Wisconsin charged a battery which was supported by a brigade of Rebels. We reached the battery, but were driven back with heavy loss, several men killed in our company, lost 200 men killed and wounded in our regiment in 20 min. The next day, Dec. 31st, the battle opened at daybreak. We were driven back 3 miles, but at noon was reinforced with fresh troops and drove the enemy back. On the 2nd of Jan. 63 they charged us, and were driven back with heavy loss. They then gave up Murfresborough and went south to Chatanoga (his spelling). We remained in Murfresborough til August. In March I received a commission as first Lieutant Com. 79th Illinois Infantry in which regiment I served until the war ended. [Again, per the National Park Service website, Nixon’s rank going into the 79th Reg. was, 1st Lieut., and out, Capt.] Was in the battle of Liberty Gap and Chackamaga, Ga. Sept. 19th and 20th. At Stone River or Murfresborough we lost, out of the regiment I was in, 304 men, one more than half that went into the fight. At Chickamagua in the 2 days battle we lost more than half our regiment, killed, wounded and captured. We gained Chatanooga but was shut in there until the last of Nov. when the battle of lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge were fought. I commanded my own company and Co. A. in the battle at Missionary Ridge. After the battle we marched through slush, we marched 75 miles to find that Longstreet had attacked Burnside and had whipped. We remained in East Tenn. during the winter. Returned to Chatanooga and started on the Atlanta campaign in May 1864. Was in the battle Rocky Face Ridge-May 14 – when my brother Colonel Allen Buckner who led the charge was severely wounded. Was in several skirmishes and 3 hard battles in the 199 days march to Atlanta-Resacka, the charge over Kenasaw Mountain and Peach Tree Creek were all hard battles. At Resacka and Kenasaw we were repulsed, but repulsed Hood at Peach Tree after the fall of Atlanta. March back toward Nashville to prevent Hoods army going north. Was captured at the battle of Franklin last of Nov. ‘64. Taken south, finally landed in Andersonville prison on Christmas day Dec, ‘64 where we suffered untold misery. Was released and reached our lines Mar. 25 – 1864. In hospital 30 days. Went to St. Louis. Was sick there in Everet hotel 30 days, then went to join my regiment in Nashville was mustered in as Capt. of my company. Was mustered out of the service at Springfield, Ill. Reached home July 1st, 1865.’ ”

~ ~ ~